For only $1 per child we can support a child to thrive through play
Please Donate now!
This is a great way to create a sandbox for kids to play in.
1. Cut out one side of the tire walls.
2. Stack one tire on top of another tire and make sure that they are aligned.
3. Drill a hole through the tire wall where the tires touch, then connect the tires together with a bolt, nut, and washers.
4. Lay the tires down on a weedmat in a circular formation. If a plastic tarpaulin is used, perforate the tarpaulin to allow for water to seep through.
5. Drill a hole through the tire treads where the tires touch, then connect the tires together with a bolt, nut, and washers.
6. Drill a hole through the tire wall of the bottom tire. Next, stick a rebar through the hole of the tire into the ground. Then, use a hammer to bend the rebar over the side of the tire into the ground to secure the tire.
7. Fill in the tires and the area in the center of the tires with sand.
8. Use a utility knife to cut the weedmat around the outer tires in a similar shape to the tire formation.
o x32 truck tires
o x64 large bolts with nuts and washers. Washer should be larger than 25mm / 1” and bolt length should be about 40mm / 1.5”.
o Weedmat or tarpaulin
o Steel rebar; diameter: ~10mm / 0.4”.
o Utility knife
o Drill with bits
This plan is designed to be used in conjunction with your appropriate, local safety guidelines / standards and the advice of local skilled builders / engineers. If your location has no guidelines or standards, we have provided a summary of many of the most common hazards here.
This plan is for pre-school (4+) and school-age children, and are not designed for babies and toddlers.
Designs will need to be redesigned for these age groups.
This element needs soft fall material below it in the safe fall zone.
This element must have a clear safe fall zone of 1500mm (5’) around it.
This element can have overlapping safe fall areas.
Depending on the size of the tires this element may contain an entrapment hazard. All spaces more than 23.5″ (600mm) from ground level must not be between 3.5″ (89mm) and 9″ (230mm) in diameter in any direction.
**IMPORTANT** Please see safety guidelines here for further details on the above safety points.
This LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING is offered for support, guidance and advice only and should not be relied upon in place of professional or expert advice. We make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability with respect to the LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING. Further, Playground Ideas make no representation that this LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING adhere to any safety standards in your country and therefore each project/playground built should be assessed on an individual basis in order to ensure compliance with national safety standards in the applicable country.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, in no event will Playground Ideas be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage, loss of profits or loss of opportunity arising out of or in any way connected with the any person acting or refraining from acting in reliance of the LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING or for failure to comply with the national safety standards in the applicable country, whether based in contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. This means if you use or feature this work in any website, publication, presentation etc, you must clearly attribute/ credit the work to www.playgroundideas.org (but not in any way that suggests that PlaygroundIDEAS endorses you or your use of the work). You may not use this work for commercial purposes without explicit permission. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work but you may create and add new work to the PlaygroundIDEAS design library to share. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/.