For only $1 per child we can support a child to thrive through play
Please Donate now!
This low to the ground swing is a great playground element for swinging and rocking.
1. If necessary, use a machete to cut the bark off of the timber, and then paint the timber.
2. Remove sidewall of nylon truck tire with a knife. Then, cut the sidewall into rubber strips.
3. Remove only the rim bead from the truck tire.
4. Cut a truck tire in half at an acute angle with a sharp blade.
5. Cut a rectangular piece out of both ends of the truck tire tread.
6. Cut open the nylon strip from step 2 and thread it through the rectangular hole in step 4.
7. Dig four holes to bury the 200 cm posts into the ground. Partially fill the holes with concrete, set in the posts, and fill the holes with concrete.
8. Place 100 cm timbers on buried timbers, then nail down the timbers with a hammer.
9. Place 170 cm timbers on the upright timbers, then nail down the timbers with a hammer.
10. Place the 75 cm timbers post below the crossbeams at a 45 degree angle, and then nail the timbers together with a hammer.
11. Drill three holes where the sidewall bands are in contact with the timbers. Next, screw in lag bolts and washers. The hammock can also be hung by ropes or steel chains.
12. Cut out a rectangular section of the motorbike tire.
13. Place motorcycle tire treads over sidewall bands and nail down motorcycle tire treads to the timbers.
o x 4 Timbers, ~200 cm / 79” length, ~10 cm / 4” diameter (Post A)
o x 2 Timbers, ~170 cm / 67” length, ~10 cm / 4” diameter (Post B)
o x 4 Timbers, ~100 cm / 39” length, ~10 cm / 4” diameter (Post C)
o x 2 Timbers, ~75 cm / 30” length, ~10 cm / 4” diameter (Post D)
o x 2 Truck Tires. You must choose tires marked with Nylon. Many truck tire sidewalls and tread contain steel wires and these are note appropriate for the design.
o x 1 Motorcycle Tire
o x 22 Nails
o x 6 Lag Bolts
o x 6 Washers
o Utility Knife
This plan is designed to be used in conjunction with your appropriate safety guidelines / standards and the advice of local skilled builders / engineers. If your location has no guidelines or standards, we have provided a summary of many of the most common hazards here.
This plan is for pre-school (4+) and school-age children, and are not designed for babies and toddlers.
Designs will need to be redesigned for these age groups.
This element needs soft fall below it in the safe fall zone.
This element can have overlapping safe fall areas.
This element must have a clear safe fall area of 1500 mm (5′) around it.
Depending on the size of the tires this element may contain an entrapment hazard. All spaces more than 23.5″ (600mm) from ground level must not be between 3.5″ (89mm) and 9″ (230mm) in diameter in any direction.
All tires need to have holes drilled or cut at their lowest point to ensure good drainage. This will reduce the risk of mosquitoes and their associated issues, such as malaria, etc. the sidewall is easier to cut than the tread for this purpose.
**IMPORTANT** Please see safety guidelines here for further details on the above safety points.
This LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING is offered for support, guidance and advice only and should not be relied upon in place of professional or expert advice. We make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability with respect to the LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING. Further, Playground Ideas make no representation that this LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING adhere to any safety standards in your country and therefore each project/playground built should be assessed on an individual basis in order to ensure compliance with national safety standards in the applicable country.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, in no event will Playground Ideas be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage, loss of profits or loss of opportunity arising out of or in any way connected with the any person acting or refraining from acting in reliance of the LIABILITY DISCLAIMER and CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE WORDING or for failure to comply with the national safety standards in the applicable country, whether based in contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. This means if you use or feature this work in any website, publication, presentation etc, you must clearly attribute/ credit the work to www.playgroundideas.org (but not in any way that suggests that PlaygroundIDEAS endorses you or your use of the work). You may not use this work for commercial purposes without explicit permission. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work but you may create and add new work to the PlaygroundIDEAS design library to share. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/.